Monday 17 February 2014

What would you do?

When I was a kid someone gave me a paperweight with the words "What would you do if you knew you would not fail?" written on it.  I thought it was a stupid question then, but it's been at the back of my mind all this time, and every so often it's like someone at the back of my brain pokes me with the thought.

For a while I thought of it kind of like you'd think of a genie in a bottle, if I could have anything I wanted, what would it be?  But the question isn't asking about what you'd pick if you could skip to a happy ending, bypassing the hard work of something, it's asking if you knew that work would pay off in success, what would you do.

It's not like how, when you're a kid, people tell you that you can do anything with your life.  It's true in some senses, if I desperately wanted to do something that involved schooling I could work hard and make a way to go back, but life isn't a blank slate and there is so much about where I am right now that I love so much I wouldn't trade it for any other dream.

When I was in school someone asked what I was studying, when I said Religious Studies and Classics they looked at me like I was nuts and asked why I would study that and why I wasn't studying knitting.    Given that, to my knowledge, you can't take knitting at university (although that would be awesome), I just thought he was crazy.  He did hit on something though, knitting is what I absolutely love.  Making patterns is what I love, and at the moment that's what I would do if I knew I would not fail.

I have one pattern for sale on Ravelry now, and this year my goal is at least three more.  The projects are planned anyways, the difference is putting them out there once they're finished rather than stuffing them into a binder upstairs.  It's a small start, but it's the perfect start for where the rest of my life is at.

No comments:

Post a Comment