Monday 9 June 2014

Using the Stash

I've been reading Debbie Bliss' Design It, Knit It, Babies and have had my eye on this sweater pattern for Caleb.
It's really cute and would be fun to knit, it also requires 4 different colours, which is a bit of a dealbreaker for me when buying yarn because it makes things a lot more expensive.  I don't mind spending money on yarn, and I'm happy to buy good quality materials for something I'm going to wear for years.  I will also buy good quality materials for Caleb, but when things get to be double what they need to cost because I need so many colours?  Not going to happen.

Then I got to thinking about how many projects I've used Cascade 220 for and wondered if I might have enough to make the sweater without buying any yarn.  I have a ton of scraps.  I hurried over to my glass-front cabinet (I LOVE that I can see all of my yarn through it), and started pulling yarn out.

I think I have enough, if I use a different colour for the main colour above and below the colourwork.  They're two different blues, but are close enough that it looks like I did it on purpose (at least that's what I'm hoping).  So with that, and a measure of hope I cast on.  It's blue and green and while I wouldn't have arranged the colours how they are if I were picking them in the store, I think it's going to work.  It's a quick knit and I expect it won't be too long before I have it finished.

I really hope I have enough yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment