Friday 13 February 2015

Little steps

A few years ago I was talking to friends about how they kept their house clean, it was always ready for visitors and I just couldn't imagine keeping my home that nice, even though I really wanted to live in a home like that.  They said they followed this lady called the Fly Lady on the internet and that it really helped them.  I looked at it and it seemed extraordinarily cheesy but I figured I'd give it a shot.

It is cheesy, but I also really like it.  She has all these sayings, like "housework done imperfectly still blesses your family" and "your house didn't get dirty in a day and it's not going to get clean in a day." Mostly she's about grace, and giving people permission to keep going even when things aren't perfect.  I find I'm such a perfectionist and it's easy to want to quit when I've done things imperfectly or fallen off the band wagon, but she's about little steps and keeping going without beating yourself up.  I'm finding that really true for my knitting patterns, sometimes I go longer than I'd like between working on them or feel like I haven't done something well and want to quit but little steps whenever I can get me a lot further than only working when I feel like things are going well.

The mittens need their ends woven in, I'm going to finish the first one today, the second one another day, and sew in the linings on a third day.   The photos will be taken next Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment